Multi-colored Love


By Charlotte Holt
Everyone loved my mother. At times, I’ll have to admit; I wondered why. I watched as she tended to the needs of those around her. She had a kind word of encouragement to whomever she encountered, especially if they suffered. She liked to advise those in any trouble. As a teenager, I didn’t think much of her advice, but I learned of her wisdom as I grew older.

Her life wasn’t easy. She made plenty of sacrifices for her family. She rose early every morning and put a full breakfast on the table before rushing off to work all day in the school cafeteria. Her biscuits and gravy made me smile. The piping hot yeast rolls she cooked at school brought joy to all. My mother cooked at home and at her job. I’ve heard people say, “My mother was the best cook ever.” Well, I guarantee you; mine outranked them all.

Not only did she put delicious food on the table, but she ministered to every student she served when they came through the line. She knew each one by name, what they liked to eat, and something about them. When she found out their favorite food, she piled extra amounts on their trays. Each felt special because of my mother’s love.

My mother got up early to tend to our needs, and she stayed up late. One summer, in my teen years, I learned further about her love for me. I grew up wearing homemade feed sack dresses and hand-me-downs. Our meager budget didn’t allow store bought things often. The night before I left for church camp, mother worked until after midnight sewing me a dress with purchased material. The new garment consisted of every color of the rainbow. I proudly wore it all week.

Now, I understood fully why everyone loved my mother. She gave endlessly of herself to bring happiness to others. She made all feel loved, including me. Her hard work and kindness compares to the Proverbs 31 Woman. She watches over the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed … Proverbs 31:27-28 (NKJV)
I still smile when I think of the love my Mama sewed into my dress. I relate to Joseph when Jacob stitched him his special coat of many colors. (Genesis 37:3)

www.charlotteholt.org

No comments:

Post a Comment